Monday, November 17, 2014

Fall Fashion Formula

With the temperatures dropping, the amount of layers and length I add to my outfits increase as rapidly as the leaves are falling! I wanted to share my most used, and very simple to understand (and implement!) formula for fall:
             Booties + Skinny jeans + Sweater/top +Jacket  + Scarf = My Fall Uniform
I am super behind on outfit posts (but have almost every day's outfit pictures stored on my tablet) but I wanted to share 2 "applications" of my Fall Formula from just a couple of days ago. Also, if you check around my blog, I have added a couple outfit posts from back in August! Another post I am working on at the moment is a post sharing all the clutches my Grandma gave me (she was cleaning up her room). The two in this post are from her. I love the velvet burgundy one with the gold and tortoise shell accents (it also has a gold chain to use as a shoulder strap). The black envelope style clutch is great to add with any outfit.
Another post I am working on is on the watches my Grandma gave me that belonged to my Grandpa. Pictured (this is one of my favorite shots I took with my tripod, most of the other ones are taken by my Dad) is one of the gold watches.
For both looks I wore my new booties from H&M (Divided) and the same Vigoss Studio skinny jeans from Nordstrom (in one I rolled the bottoms, the other I tucked them into my jeans).
 
Throughout this post I'll share where I bought the pieces pictured. If you can tell, I switched up my nails- it's the same OPI brown color, but with the inevitable chips, I added gold tips and a black line if you can see in the pic to the right.
Here is a close up shot of my nails. One nail on each nail got too chipped and in this picture, you can see that on my index finger, I painted it gold and did a plaid-like pattern with the black nail striping tool I used to make the lines on my other nails. The bracelet I am wearing is from Nordstrom, a present from one of my relatives last Christmas. I absolutely adore it, the clear plastic band is a perfect contrast to the big stones anchored on it with a chain (in the picture it is turned around).
Had to do a falling leaves (or rather, me throwing leaves and watching them fall) set of pictures... they're almost required during fall!
I paired my (actually it's my Mom's!!) Forever 21 black, burgundy, and blue scarf with my new H&M black sweater and a brown cargo jacket.

I totally went over to my neighbor's yard to take some pictures! They have better leaves than my yard!
With this look, I used my Fall Formula and paired my (sister's jacket) green cargo jacket with a blush t-shirt from H&M with my (mom's ;)) scarf from Nordstrom.
 
That night I went out for dinner with a couple friends, so for a more casual look, I tucked in my shirt and added a leopard print belt and flats. The belt is one of my purchases from this post, and the flats I recently purchased from Target for a great deal (will be featured in one of my upcoming Shopping haul posts.
I absolutely love the colors in fall, both in nature, and in outfits. Nature gives me such inspiration, and I love the crunchy leaves that always underfoot.
I gave you my fall formula already (I know, such a complicated combo to come up with on your own ;)), but I'll give you another when deciding what to wear with your scarf. With scarves, they are the main part of your outfit, and you don't want to make your look too busy. When choosing a blouse, t-shirt, or sweater to go with a scarf, I have a weird method to decide. I squint my eyes, and choose either the color that pops out most, or that contrasts with the color that pops out through my squinted eyes. It sounds weird...but try it yourself! 

Thanks for reading! Follow along on my Instagram @diysbymegid for more pictures, and details about upcoming posts. Watch out for my daily outfit posts, I am working from August to present, so check in previous months!


No comments:

Post a Comment