Saturday, January 10, 2015

Blanketed in... A Scarf

While some bloggers are posting their gorgeous pictures in the snow... there is no snow (or even a chance of snow!) in my little town in California. So instead of the ground being blanketed in snow, I am blanketed in a scarf, and the ground in my pictures are covered in greenery and cement.
I recently got this blanket scarf from one of my besties (who blogs at Outside of the Birdcage) for my birthday.  I love how it is reversible (or as I wear it-- with both sides showing) and soooo comfy. She got it at one of our Downtown boutiques Prim. In this post I will be showing you 3 different ways to wear a blanket scarf. I wore it to school, and out later tonight in the way pictured below, which many people thought was a sweater!

I had many accessories for this outfit, which were a mix of metals and textures. My main piece was the Nordstrom diamond necklace (I got it on sale for $11.98). I added a bunch of rings and bangles and my gold Gruen watch. My red Jewel Mint earrings are one of my favorite pairs, and I topped off my scarf with a thin red leather belt.
Here is one of my recent purchases- a pair of tortoise shell sunnies I got from Nordstrom B.P. Later in this post you can see the sides, which I LOVE. They have silver detailing on the sides.
Again, I shot with Lucy (@lbellx on Instagram!! and go check out her VSCO account-- I took her profile pic!!). The Holiday post (yes, I know the holidays are over...) will be up soon with more pictures by her.
I also had a little helper who toted around my stuff and helped me out- Tayler is pictured creeping behind me here!!
The first way I came up to wear a blanket scarf is belted. Put it on just like a normal one, then cinch in your waist with a thin belt.
The thing with blanket scarves is that they can overpower you. With a belt around your waist you can prevent the look of being "poofy".
 Here are close ups of my accessories. The clutch is from LuLu*s.
The side shot of my sunnies (+ a better look at my accessories) The gorgeous silver ring was a Christmas present from my Aunt and Uncle. It is thick  silver hammered out with a smooth silver thin band that slides up and down.
The second way you can wear a blanket scarf is what I like to call the cowboy handkerchief. It reminds me of a cowboy's bandana tied around your neck. It doesn't matter what shape your scarf is-- simply fold it into a square, fold the square into a triangle (diagonal corners together) and tie the ends of the triangle behind your neck.

If you put these next  two pictures together you would get the whole view that Lucy had while taking these pictures. The hill that we had to climb down was pretty steep, and getting back up it was even harder than getting down it. Tayler was struggling to get up it, and I was laughing at her the whole time (that's what friends are for!). If you just saw the picture on the right you may think I am posing and laughing at something in the distance-- but no, I'm just laughing at Tayler!
Love this picture with all of nature surrounding me. You can't really tell in this picture, but the log I am on is pretty high, I had to have Tayler help me get up on it!
And of course an uneven log+heeled booties= a very unstable me!
This scarf style gives you a whole lot of scarf, so make sure when you do your blanket scarf this way you have your hair down to balance out the bulkiness of the scarf. I am wearing my fave jeans (Vigoss) and booties (H&M) by the way--both are so comfy and versatile.
The last way to wear a blanket scarf is how I wore it today. Wrap the scarf around so it goes behind your back and around your shoulders. Then add a belt to keep it together, it looks a lot like a sweater, which many people confused it for today when I wore it to school.
Thank you so much Tay for being the helper on this shoot!
And to Lucy-- I am so grateful for the time you spend shooting with me, you are so very talented with a camera!! (Picture cred to me on this one!)

Sorry for the overabundance of photos in this post, Lucy just took too many great ones! Thanks team!
 

 Picture credits to Tayler on this one... a gorgeous sunset greeted us after the photoshoot.
Thanks for reading! Subscribe to my blog to get notifications when I post new content! AND subscribe to my YouTube channel (diysbymegid) I have a lot of new videos to post! Thank you to those who are already subscribed (I just hit 116 subscribers and passed 8,000 total views on my videos). On Instagram I'm @diysbymegid, follow along on there for pictures of current projects and posts/sneak peeks of new ones! Thanks for all your support!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment