Sunday, October 27, 2013

Glittered Makeup Brush Containers


My bathroom is usually a big, huge mess. What makes it worse is my makeup brushes and makeup scattered all around. These makeup brush holders make it easy to organize your brushes and other makeup. I have been using mine for about 3 months now and I love them! So far no glitter has fallen off with my easy seal in tip, and these makes it so much easier to grab a brush when doing my makeup. (Look at my June post to see how you can make a makeup brush washer to easily clean all your brushes!)


I made 3 containers- 2 for my brushes, and 1 for my eyeliners. The eyeliner one was originally a flower vase that I found in my house.
For this DIY you will need:
-Glass containers (I got mine at the Dollar Tree, for of course, a dollar ;). You can also use glass jars, cups, or vases)
-Modpodge/Tacky Glue
-Brush for the Modpodge
-Glitter
-Mini scissors (optional)
-Expo Dry Erase Marker (optional)
-Tape measure (optional)
-Blue painters tape
-Marbles
-Tray to sprinkle the glitter
-Newspaper or plastic (to cover the area you work- the glitter can make a mess!!) 
-Hairspray (any type/brand will work)

 
 





Prep your glass containers for the glitter by peeling off any of stickers on the bottom and giving them a quick wipe with a damp paper towel. Make sure you cover your entire work are with newspapers!!Depending on how much of the container you want to be glittered, use an Expo marker and a tape measure to make marks at the same height on all sides of your containers.
Using the markings as a guide, place pieces of tape across the sides of the container.
You can also place tape on the bottom of your containers to make your glitter lines neat and clean, and to minimize the amount of glue on the bottom of you containers. I first placed 4 pieces of glue on the bottom, and then used mini scissors to cut off the excess tape.
You are now ready to glitter your glasses to glitz them up!! Using Modpodge or Tacky Glue and a sponge brush, coat all sides of your containers evenly. The tape is there so you will have a clean line of glitter.
I used two cardboard trays and a spoon (plastic) to apply glitter to my containers. For the first one, I poured it on with the spoon and spread it on each side with the back of the spoon.
Once you use up all your glitter, either scoop up the excess with your spoon and continue pouring it over the glue, or use a second cardboard tray to pour the excess glitter over your container.
Let your containers dry overnight, I placed mine on a cut up plastic gallon bag so the bottoms could be lifted easily from the plastic (instead of getting stuck to the newspaper).
Here is my tip to seal in the glitter: hairspray! A while back I had gone to Michaels Craft Store to purchase some Modpodge seal in spray, but the wonderful sales associate gave me the much appreciated, useful tip of just using hairspray. The brand and type does not matter at all, any kind will do! 
After thoroughly spraying the whole container, let it dry for a while. I again used the plastic bag to put my containers on because the hairspray can get sticky! Once it is dry to the touch, wipe off any hairspray above your tape lines with a damp paper towel (the spray will go everywhere).
Next it is time to peel the tape off!! Carefully pull the tape at an angle so no dry glue gets stuck to the tape and pulls off any of the glitter.
The last step is to pour the marbles, rice, or beads into your container, and push all your brushes into the containers.  
I hope you enjoy this tutorial and decide to DO IT YOURSELF! Subscribe to my youtube channel diysbymegid, I have already filmed this but I am way behind on my other videos right now! Follow my DIY instagram diysbymegid, and subscribe to my blog! If you try this one, or any of my other DIYS make sure you send me a picture at diysbymegid@gmail.com! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment