Tuesday, November 26, 2013

BAS(E)ically the Best Manicure

You can't paint your nails without a good base! I love painting my nails, but I love pampering my nails even more. Here is the routine I do before painting my nails. I have all the products linked to where you can purchase them, or similar products to the ones I use.
I always start off by filing my nails into a square edge. Make sure your nails are not moist/wet or there is a greater chance of you breaking a nail! No matter what shape you choose to file your nails into, it is best to file in one direction. Never file back and forth!
After filing my nails I tend to push my cuticles back- this is optional (if you are not comfortable pushing your nail beds back skip this!) Even if you are not going to push your cuticles back, you should apply some cuticle oil to soften your cuticles. Here are some of the cuticle oils I use (another option is olive oil, or just lotion). From left to right: Victoria's Secret Nail & Cuticle Treatment (limited edition), Vitamin E Oil (Rite Aid- $2.49, you can purchase it at almost any drugstore though), Nail Magic Vanilla ALmond Cuticle Oil (Sally Beauty Supply- $5.99 It smells amazing!!) For Vitamin E Oil pour some onto a cotton swab and run it along your cuticle.
GENTLY push back your cuticles once they have softened from the lotion/oil.

Rub any excess oil/lotion off before painting on your base coat. I have found that it really does not matter what brand or the price of the base coat. These are the ones I use the most that range in prices- you can even layer your base coats.
From left to right: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails (Not the same one but similar Target-$4.49. The one I bought was $1.49 at Target.), Orly Calcium Shield (Not the same one but similar at Ulta- $15.00. I got mine for $8 at a beauty supply store.), Nail Magic Nail Hardener and Conditioner (Sally Beauty- $8.99), Victoria's Secret Protein Base Coat (limited edition), OPI Natural Nail Base Coat (Ulta-$9.00), OPI Nail Envy Strengthener for Sensitive & Peeling Nails (Ulta-$16.95). Many of these base coats go on sale, and check Ulta's ads for coupons!
Now you are all done! I love finishing off my manicures with some lotion- any kind will do but make sure you rub it especially into your cuticles!

Thanks for reading! Enjoy your great base for a perfect manicure! Subscribe to my youtube diysbymegid, follow my instagram diysbymegid, and contact me at diysbymegid@gmail.com. Try all my other DIYs and send me pictures of your creations to my email or post them to instagram and tag me or #diysbymegid.



No comments:

Post a Comment